Monthly Archives: October 2006

New AdvancedRelationship type for Transl*ated Titles

After many months of discussion, a new advanced relationship type for translated or transliterated titles has been created. This proposal hasn’t been fully implemented; a new Release Status for transl*ations that aren’t actual releases still needs to be implemented in the server (there is a vote on the Wiki for the best name for this), and there is still discussion on the -style mailing list about the need for explicit attributes marking translation vs. transliteration, but the basic AR, representing the parts of this proposal that have reached consensus, has finally reached the main server.

Thanks to everybody who participated (and is participating) in this very long and drawn out process.

Recent Updates to Style Guidelines

The Classical Release Artist Style passed an RFV last week. It provides for performers to be used as Release Artists for albums that would otherwise be listed under Various Artists (as there are multiple composers).

Also added was a series-specific style for the “Promo Only” series. This is now the second Series Style Guideline (the first was for the OverClocked ReMix (OCReMix) series).

Who Is or Will Be the MusicBrainz Server Developer?

In the last weeks I have been talking to Yalaforge, Lukas, Robert and Keschte about integrating Keschte back into MusicBrainz server development. Now, one thing that I have learned from the GreatDispute is not to do mediating behind the scenes, but to MakeIssuesPublic. Therefore I will now tell you what came out of these talks:

Robert said that he owes Keschte a second chance — if only because the way he handled the conflict was shitty — but that he “does not really believe in it”.

Keschte told me that he wants to work on mbserver again, but on the other hand he will wait and see how the MB community evolves after the dispute. He also said that he probably does not want to start seriously getting involved before next year.

So that’s the situation. There is also a lot of hurt pride and lost trust in there. This does not make things easier. However that is Rob and Keschte’s problem, and nobody can help them with it.

What I can do, and kind of did, was to negotiate a kind of compromise — a situation in which both of them could work together again. This is what it could look like:

  • Keschte would get a kind of sovereign territory in which he can work his way, while Rob can be sure that whatever comes out of it has been thoroughly checked and is of good quality.
  • Keschte does not want to work alone and needs feedback from someone. Robert made very explicit that he cannot and will not fulfill this role. However co-hackers, interested users could do this. That means that Keschte’s development process would have to be opened up to the community. He would need communication tools like forums, a dev-blog, a test server of his own on which “Keschte’s Bleeding Edge” is always available to the public, etc.
  • On the other hand, Keschte would have to work more focused, in better delimited projects, one at a time, than he has on the XHTML server project. Initially this could mean to work with branches (it is clear that major refactoring cannot be done this way, but ArtistPageRedesign could).
  • I do not believe that bug triaging and buffers between Keschte and the users would do any good. Those were discussed in a chat session mediated by Lauri. As I wrote at the end of the Great Dispute, Keschte had been set up in a double bind. You cannot solve this kind of problems with padding, only by changing the setting.

So, this is what it could look like. I say “could”, because both Keschte and Robert stated that they will not put a lot of work into making this happen now. For me this means that I won’t do it either. While I would love to help both in setting up a “sovereign territory” which is helpful and acceptable to both, I will not try to do all the work that they are not willing to do.

The conclusion? There currently is no MusivBrainz server developer. Sad thing, but the truth.

FreeDB import broken (fixed!)

The FreeDB import feature is currently broken due to FreeDB.org being switched over to MAGIX (whatever that means). This switch was less than elegant since it seems that the old port 888 method for retrieving the CD info and web searches have been switched off.

Currently the MusicBrainz server uses the old port 888 method, so we need to code the server to retrieve data via HTTP. freedb2.org has web searching features, so we’re going to be switching over to use them instead of freedb.org.

In the meantime, you can use the track parser to import CDs from FreeDB. Sorry for the inconvenience!

UPDATE: Seems to be working now. Let’s see if things hold.

Technorati Tags:

Bug triage mailing list now active!

The suggestion of a bug triage mailing list has been turned into a reality:

The purpose of this mailing list is to give the community more insight into bugs/enhancements/tasks as they enter the bug tracking system and as they move through the various stages. People who subscribe to this list will be able to monitor the chatter between developers and users more effectively than before. If you’ve wondered what bugs are being reported and what bugs are being closed, join this list.

Technorati Tags: ,

MusicIP continues to rock!

MusicIP just donated $500 to offset the cost of me traveling to the Future of Music Summit in Montreal this week! Thanks Matthew Dunn and the rest of the MusicIP team!

If you haven’t played with MusicIP’s offering, I would suggest you go check it out — their MusicIP Mixer is an awesome tool that lets you make playlists based on the acoustic analysis of your music. Its a great tool for rediscovering your own music collection!

Technorati Tags: , ,