Monthly Archives: August 2008

Unplanned Downtime

It looks like the main web site has dropped off the ‘net – most likely the server has crashed. I’ve asked the good people at Digital West to reboot the server. Please bear with us… hopefully we’ll be back up soon!

Update: the server is back (so it was down for just over an hour).

Update 2: We have two new servers on order to bring much needed redundancy to the site. So, the next time our flaky web server crashes the site should keep running. We hope to have those machines in rotation early in September. (read: after Burning Man. :-) )

Bandits at high noon!

The traffic to MusicBrainz is growing steadily! (steady growth is much better than exponential growth!)

We’ve recently added two more search servers, which are now humming along nicely. But now we’re seeing that our main web server is starting to get saturated, so we need to add more capacity. In order to use our existing machines effectively and to greatly increase the redundancy of our site, we’ve asked out board of directors to approve the purchase of two more servers. I expect this to be approved shortly.

In the meantime we’re getting more serious about people who are violating our very liberal terms of service that state that no single client instance is to make more than one Web Service call to MusicBrainz per second. We’ve been blocking mis-behaving clients more aggressively and have decided to block all clients that use this User-Agent id string:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; Win32; WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5

If you’re using a MusicBrainz enabled application and all of the sudden it stopped working today, please leave us a comment below. We’d love to identify the offending application so we can contact the author of the application.

Also, the following IP address have been blocked from using MusicBrainz, either because of their client string or sending too many requests to MusicBrainz:

85.144.88.11, 69.181.45.228, 80.58.205.43, 205.209.78.232, 195.235.104.253, 85.240.173.204, 92.195.16.20, 89.241.123.24, 71.12.186.1, 204.17.31.126, 98.64.41.178, 77.188.36.140, 141.155.126.17, 217.225.157.236, 91.9.246.252, 66.91.250.27, 217.41.4.13, 83.76.160.150, 91.67.8.254, 88.191.58.11, 141.30.218.96, 88.88.124.26, 82.42.72.21, 91.9.230.72,
213.22.39.14, 86.0.180.87

In the last 16 hours, the following IPs have been over the limit:

Total requests IP address
3187 58.170.57.43
3344 71.76.7.125
3523 92.193.11.17
3789 61.216.59.7
4495 67.180.35.184
4670 218.66.36.76
6521 91.47.225.62
7993 67.109.84.5
8558 91.47.135.154
189763 88.191.58.11

If you find your IP address on this list, please make a donation to the MetaBrainz Foundation and we’ll consider unblocking you after you assure us that you will not be making more than 1 request per second.

New search servers

I’m happy to say that we’ve now got extra search servers – a failover pair, in fact, so we’re no longer reliant on a single search server. In fact shortly we hope to bring a third server into the pool too. Not bad considering that, so far, we’ve only ever had one (or zero) search servers.

What this means for you is that searches should be faster. It also means that the future performance of the web site is now more assured than it was before – we’re in a substantially better position to handle extra traffic.

Most of the work was done by Robert Kaye; I only helped to polish off the edges :-)

Jim DeLaHunt is our new style leader!

I’m pleased to announce that Jim DeLaHunt is our new style leader!

After chatting with tons of people, it appears that no-one has any objections to Jim being our new style leader. Jim will be working to improve the style process and to get stuck proposal moving again. Expect to hear much from Jim in the coming weeks as the revamps our style process. If you’re interested in taking part or observing the improving style process, please subscribe to the MusicBrainz style mailing list.