A bit later in the day than I’d like, but we’re back with another release! Primarily bug fixes, but this release also includes the long-in-progress work to derive recording durations from track durations; thanks to ocharles and bitmap for dragging that through the various parts of the process! Thanks also to d4rkie, reosarevok, mavit, and chirlu for providing patches on top of the work of the MetaBrainz team.
The git tag for this release is
- [MBS-4021] – /ws/2/release doesn’t include artist aliases for recordings on Various Artists releases
- [MBS-7064] – Internal server error displaying relationship type edit
- [MBS-7068] – Need Email::Sender 0.120002 or newer
- [MBS-7297] – Internal server error when searching for edits by ID with large numbers
- [MBS-7315] – Removing URL entity via Edit Release page results in SQL error
- [MBS-7386] – Regression: Attach TOC to new release – TOC/DiscId is lost when based on existing release/tracklist
- [MBS-7390] – ArtistsThatMayBeGroups report needs to ignore orchestras and choirs
- [MBS-7392] – Place duplicate checks don’t work
- [MBS-7393] – mora.jp parser makes wrong links
- [MBS-7395] – Works that still have work attributes can’t be deleted
- [MBS-7410] – Merge queue with more than one entry shows the wrong help text
- [MBS-7416] – Edit-medium diff shows recording changes that aren’t actually changes
- [MBS-7420] – Can’t submit artist edit form after adding and removing a URL
- [MBS-7426] – Tiny distracting flaw in Edit Recording page ISRC help text
- [MBS-7429] – Ambiguous field ‘id’ in search query involving edit ID BETWEEN and “Artist in subscribed editors”
- [MBS-7431] – URL encoding problem with inline URL editing
- [MBS-2021] – Set recording times automatically
- [MBS-2302] – Set recording length when adding a Disc ID
- [MBS-7150] – Indicate artists on the release group and recording parts of the ratings page
- [MBS-7153] – Indicate artists on the release group and recording parts of the tags page
- [MBS-7291] – Detect and mark big duration differences on recording merge edits
- [MBS-7391] – Remove verbiage from /entity/create
- [MBS-7417] – Add a visual indicator when times are very different in release merge edits
- [MBS-3987] – Disable recording duration editing
- [MBS-7425] – Add maniadb.com to the other dbs whitelist
As you’ve probably heard all over the net, a vulnerability was found in a very popular and critical piece of software that a lot of sites on the net use. While we also use said piece of software, our version is a bit older and therefore we’re not affected by this bug. There is no need to change your password, unless you use a common password on any of these affected sites listed in the link above.
To get an idea of how serious this issue is, take a look at this stunning list of affected sites!
But, don’t take our word for it. Use this link to check to see if musicbrainz.org is affected.
Now go and change your passwords. NOW!
Due to a travel schedule snafu, we need to pull our schema change release day in by one day. The new release date for our schema change release is 14 May, 2014.
Sorry for having to make this change!
MusicBrainz is represented at Music Hack Day Paris 2014!
If you’re a hacker who is participating, this page collects a number of interesting things about MusicBrainz that lets you get started with MusicBrainz easily.
If you’d like some help with MusicBrainz, come see Rob in the large conference room on the other side of the presentation area. Rob is the guy with the crazy hair and the bright orange t-shirt.
We’re back with another musicbrainz-server release. Thanks this fortnight to contributions from chirlu, JesseW, reosarevok, and nikki, as well as the MetaBrainz team. This release is all bug fixes and small improvements of various sorts, though we’re likely to, in the next few days, release the code to automatically calculate recording times from track times (where applicable). Stay tuned!
The git tag for this release is
- [MBS-4706] – Inconsistent state with pending edits: 2 mediums at position 1
- [MBS-5512] – “Relate to URL…” is missing the returnto= parameter and returns us to another page
- [MBS-6681] – URL cleanup (social networking, other databases, etc.) overrides correct relationship types
- [MBS-6897] – Release has multiple “Disc 1″ mediums, apparently impossible to change in the editor
- [MBS-7142] – Missing release artist in “Remove release label” edit
- [MBS-7247] – Wrong search generated for CDstub
- [MBS-7328] – Release Add/edit Recording Search is broken
- [MBS-7340] – Can’t add work after fixing an error
- [MBS-7342] – Release editor hangs on “Submitting edits…” after certain errors occur
- [MBS-7343] – Angle brackets disappear on release editor preview
- [MBS-7369] – Web page no longer has markup hooks for finding catalogue numbers.
- [MBS-7372] – Release Editor: CD TOC x Track Parser breaks horribly
- [MBS-7373] – Edit diff for reordering is misleading
- [MBS-7378] – Inline search returns duplicate results when searching for the same text twice
- [MBS-7380] – Statistics for work attributes are wrong
- [MBS-7387] – ISWC in work meta description (web search description) on works is broken
- [MBS-7388] – Server allows setting gender for choirs/orchestras
- [MBS-7401] – “Non-group artists” stat shouldn’t count orchestras and choirs
- [MBS-1271] – Some pages say “please log in to…” and some don’t
- [MBS-2754] – Recording page shows track number but not disc number for occurences
- [MBS-6806] – Add social network autoselect for Instagram and blog autoselect for Tumblr
- [MBS-7272] – Create relationship page should show recording artists
- [MBS-7356] – ISE page should include a timestamp
- [MBS-7364] – Artist /create and /edit should show Birth Area etc for Person
- [MBS-7366] – Add padding to the header on edit pages
- [MBS-7341] – Add a button to reset previous recordings in the release editor
- [MBS-7368] – Add a name attribute to the type select in the links editor
- [MBS-7382] – Make orchestra and choir behave and show like group
- [MBS-7383] – Add orchestra and choir to the stats pages
As promised last week, here is a more detailed explanation of what is going to be changing during our May 15th schema change release:
- [MBS-5978] – Replication feed is missing release_tag: This will not change any database tables but will finally include release_tag data in our Live Data Feed.
- [MBS-6709] – "None" is no longer the last Packaging type after adding Book and Cassette Case: See below for more details.
- [MBS-2410] – Label types not a tree anymore: This bug and MBS-6709 add “parent”, “child_order” and “description” columns to all of the yellow tables on this diagram except for language, script and script_language.
- [MBS-2714] – Add support for Series: Details are provided in the ticket itself.
- [MBS-6144] – Remove the apparently-unused script_language table: Exactly what it says on the tin.
- [MBS-6602] – Remove sortnames from areas: Removes the sortname column from the area table.
- [MBS-6603] – Remove sortnames from labels: Removes the sortname column from the label table.
- [MBS-6651] – Make it possible to disable dates for relationship types: Adds a “has_dates” boolean column to link_type, to indicate whether a particular relationship type allows dates or not. The upgrade will set them all to “can have dates” for now and we will manually disable the appropriate ones later.
- [MBS-7205] – Link types should track assumed cardinality: Details are provided in the ticket itself.
- [MBS-3674] – Make instruments entities: This adds the following tables: instrument, instrument_type, instrument_gid_redirect, instrument_alias, instrument_alias_type, instrument_annotation, edit_instrument, l_*_instrument, l_instrument_* (the usual AR tables to other entities).
Another fortnight and another release with a small crop of bugs and then some! The biggest changes this week:
- Work attributes support, originally part of last May’s schema change, is finally done and released!
- PDF support for the Cover Art Archive. PDFs won’t appear as the front cover, since they can’t generally be displayed in a browser and the Internet Archive doesn’t currently create thumbnail images for them.
- Removing RDFa. Most of you probably never used it anyway, but as we’ve been talking about for a while now, and especially with the great work LinkedBrainz has been doing, it was time to stop poorly half-maintaining rapidly-disintegrating RDFa support on musicbrainz.org itself.
Aside from that, we have the usual crop of fixes, primarily cleanup from the fixes above, the new release editor, and the new URL relationships.
The git tag for this release is
- [MBS-5244] – Remove bits of RDFa which were commented out because of invalid HTML.
- [MBS-6067] – Internal server error when using query parameter with a lookup in the webservice
- [MBS-7267] – Country column is blank when looking up a FreeDB ID
- [MBS-7299] – Place types and alias types are not translatable
- [MBS-7300] – Existing image URLs always link to .jpg when adding an image
- [MBS-7311] – RE: Guess case dropdown doesn’t update when changed on the other tab
- [MBS-7319] – Not possible to enter Facebook URLs by typing
- [MBS-7322] – URL are not added when creating work with ISWC
- [MBS-7323] – Can’t edit artist because of badly retrieved URL
- [MBS-7324] – ISE: Caught exception in MusicBrainz::Server::Controller::AutoEditorElections->nominate “Can’t call method “name” on an undefined value at lib/MusicBrainz/Server/Controller/AutoEditorElections.pm line 34, line 3
- [MBS-7325] – ISE: Caught exception in MusicBrainz::Server::Controller::AutoEditorElections->nominate “Can’t call method “is_auto_editor” on an undefined value at lib/MusicBrainz/Server/Controller/AutoEditorElections.pm line 29, line 3.”
- [MBS-7326] – ISE: Caught exception in MusicBrainz::Server::Controller::AutoEditorElections->nominate “Forbidden at lib/MusicBrainz/Server/Data/AutoEditorElection.pm line 53, line 3.”
- [MBS-7329] – Importing a multiple artist freedb release gives a seeding error for the “artist” field
- [MBS-7332] – ISE trying to see release merge
- [MBS-7333] – beta: ISRC code missing from heading on ISRC page
- [MBS-7334] – Beta: IPI codes no longer shown in artist and label sidebars
- [MBS-7335] – Deprecated relationships are no longer prevented from being added
- [MBS-7336] – URL error messages don’t always get shown
- [MBS-4116] – Cover art archive: Support .pdf
- [MBS-7318] – Label bubble should appear when focusing the catalogue number input field
- [MBS-5863] – Dynamic work attributes (UI)
- [MBS-1263] – RDFa code is too separate from main MB code and is starting to bit rot
- [MBS-7330] – Add Wikimedia Commons and CPDL to the score whitelist