We’re back with another release! We’ve got a good amount in this release, with patches from the MetaBrainz team as well as chirlu, nikki, reosarevok, Freso, JesseW, and Johan Hattne. A short preview of changes:
- Table of Contents offsets for CDs are now returned when the discid endpoints are used.
- The subscription emails were running into an issue with memory usage, which means some users were not getting emails (or only getting emails sporadically). The script has been reworked to have predictable and lower memory usage so that it’s not killed. Good job on our users for providing it a hard enough task it finally fell over though!
- Importing and replication should now work with the newest version of DBD::Pg, which made a change that broke our code.
- A variety of new improvements (many style-related) and bugfixes.
The git tag for this release is
The full list of tickets fixed:
- [MBS-2948] – Set track lengths from disc id should indicate the mediums that use the tracklist
- [MBS-3452] – Merged release annotation is in wrong order
- [MBS-3841] – Loading releases or release groups with lots of discs often gives 502
- [MBS-5692] – Internal server error when trying to create a new user with a blank database
- [MBS-7238] – span.name-variation disappeared from release pages
- [MBS-7402] – release page regression. inline external URL relationships link to MB only
- [MBS-7442] – User asked to confirm unchanged “strange” barcode
- [MBS-7900] – Duplicated tags in tag-list element from ws/2 XML request
- [MBS-7920] – Nonfunctional rating on release group merge page
- [MBS-7968] – Inline search triggers searches when the field only contains whitespace
- [MBS-7985] – Attributes help link does nothing
- [MBS-8010] – Entity tabs are broken when adding a release group to an existing artist
- [MBS-8019] – Release tabs broken on the remove disc ID page
- [MBS-8056] – Loading large-ish releases is very slow in Opera 12
- [MBS-8058] – Documentation says viewing data doesn’t require JS, which is wrong for releases
- [MBS-8084] – lightbox html escaping
- [MBS-8095] – “Edits for your subscriptions” emails have not been sent for at least 3 days
- [MBS-8104] – Tracklist times entered without colon doesn’t work for times that are not three digits
- [MBS-8117] – 504 Gateway Time-out when trying to view edits for a Release Collection
- [MBS-8118] – “Editor flag” edit search criterion fails if given multiple values
- [MBS-8126] – Import scripts fail with newest DBD::Pg
- [MBS-8156] – Timeline graph checkboxes are broken in Opera
- [MBS-8157] – “Script too large” error prevents releases from rendering
- [MBS-8159] – No secondary release group types in recording search results
- [MBS-8185] – Series and Events’ “other db” URL rels are not currently being validated against the whitelist
- [MBS-8191] – Collection edit lists are not made sufficiently private
- [MBS-2656] – Sorting in subscription emails should use collation
- [MBS-2737] – Limit size of release page
- [MBS-5752] – Make sure Trove URLs are autocorrected depending on the entity to which they’re linked
- [MBS-7943] – Add support for TheSession.org events
- [MBS-8040] – Add admin interface for editing attribute tables
- [MBS-8164] – Add tests for event collections to Data::Collection
- [MBS-8180] – Return TOC offsets with disc ID in web service
- [MBS-8106] – Add Instagram URLs to the sidebar
- [MBS-8138] – Add a bunch of sites to the whitelist for DBs (II)
- [MBS-8189] – Move last.fm autoselect to the new last.fm relationship
A small release this fortnight as our various developers have been working on bigger projects. However, a few fixes made it in, including making edit searches which time out a lot nicer to use/reword, some better documentation, and slightly better coordinate-parsing.
Thanks to bitmap, chirlu, and the rest of the usual team for this release!
- [MBS-7396] – Move Disc ID box out of place
- [MBS-7984] – Edit searches which time out prevent the user from improving their search
- [MBS-8002] – Width missing on checkbox column of events list
- [MBS-8081] – “Remove selected releases from collection” no longer works
- [MBS-8097] – “Add relationship type” edits don’t store the ID of the new type
- [MBS-8113] – Strip whitespace when parsing coordinates
- [MBS-6439] – Pasting MBIDs into search fields should not be a hidden feature
- [MBS-7565] – manual→automatic series edit leads to potentially great data loss
- [MBS-8101] – Don’t immediately start the edit search when following a “Refine” link
- [MBS-8122] – Allow switching to direct search when inline (indexed) search errors
- [MBS-8131] – Remove the “CD in hand” suggestion from the no edit note message
A day late, but hopefully no dollars short, we’re back with another release. This release is mostly bug fixes, as you’d expect right after a schema change release. nikki has done some work with our CSS, however, and chirlu did some work updating and clarifying our INSTALL.md. Thanks to them, mineo, and the MetaBrainz team for their work this release!
The git tag for this release is
The usual list of bugs fixed:
- [MBS-4232] – Edit artist shows artists credits section when it doesn’t apply
- [MBS-4622] – Improve handling of cover art when JS is off
- [MBS-6971] – No controls for uploading cover artwork in IE8
- [MBS-7497] – cpanm install fails with Can’t locate File/Copy/Recursive.pm in @INC
- [MBS-7952] – Release editor does not handle removed mediums correctly when reordering mediums
- [MBS-7988] – Adding a pregap track to an existing tracklist and it shows as a data track
- [MBS-7992] – Data track option doesn’t behave properly with disc IDs
- [MBS-7993] – Edit medium edits for pre-gap tracks claim to change data tracks
- [MBS-7995] – DBDefs.pm.sample is still at schema version 20
- [MBS-8011] – Last.fm event URLs don’t get matched
- [MBS-8013] – Cannot add data track to release
- [MBS-8018] – “TypeError: MB.typeInfoByID[i] is undefined” when creating an event series
- [MBS-8022] – Sorting event collections doesn’t work
- [MBS-8024] – FixTrackLength script is setting incorrect lengths on pregap tracks
- [MBS-8029] – Collections overview uses “Releases” even for events
- [MBS-8033] – Encoding issue in some “explanation balloons”
- [MBS-8034] – Duplicate relationships with attributes cause internal server error in release relationship editor
- [MBS-6332] – Allow sorting releases in collections by release date
- [MBS-6333] – Allow sorting releases in collections by release country
- [MBS-7824] – Add Barcode column to Collections releases view
- [MBS-7997] – Show area in event lists
- [MBS-8001] – Use larger Gravatar images on higher pixel density displays
- [MBS-8009] – URL Cleanup should clean FB event links better
- [MBS-8036] – Add URL matching for setlist.fm
- [MBS-6682] – Add eu.ftp.musicbrainz.org to INSTALL.md
This upgrade shouldn’t be substantially different than past upgrades, now that we’ve fixed a few bugs with the process. To upgrade:
- Make sure your
REPLICATION_TYPE setting is
RT_SLAVE and your
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCE is set to 20 in
- Ensure you’ve replicated up to the most recent replication packet available with the old schema. (if you’re not sure, run
./admin/replication/LoadReplicationChanges and see what it tells you).
- Take down the web server running MusicBrainz, if you’re running a web server.
- Turn off cron jobs if you are automatically updating the database via cron jobs.
- Switch to the new code with
git fetch origin followed by
git checkout schema-change-20-to-21
carton exec -Ilib -- ./upgrade.sh if you’re using carton, with very old setups).
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCE to 21 in
- Turn cron jobs back on, if needed.
- Restart the MusicBrainz web server, if applicable. It’s also recommended you restart memcached.
That’s it! The only real difference from the past is the specific tag to be used:
schema-change-20-to-21, which is a couple of fix-up commits past the regular release tag.
We’re back with the schema change release, as promised! We only have a small collection of tickets, but several big things:
- Pre-gap tracks and data tracks for CDs (where neither contribute to the discid, and pre-gap tracks have position of 0)
- Collections can now be marked with types such as “owned” and “wishlist”, plus some special new types mentioned below.
- CDStub data is now replicated.
- All entities (except URLs) should now support tagging, as areas, instruments, and series were made taggable.
- Events! And, additionally, event collections. All (non-deleted) users should have had an “Attending” and a “Maybe Attending” collection created, with the corresponding collection types.
Upgrade instructions will come in another blog post, though they should be substantially unchanged from past releases. Specifically, we’d like to confirm everything’s working correctly with a specific git commit, and make a new tag, before we post a recommendation, since there’s already been some problems discovered. Some slacker must not have tested this carefully enough (author whistles in an innocent-sounding fashion).
The git commit for this release (sans small fixes that have happened since release earlier today and any others that may need fixing) is
- [MBS-7638] – CreateIndexes for instruments wrongly looks at label tables
- [MBS-967] – Support for hidden pre-gap tracks
- [MBS-1059] – Types of list/collection
- [MBS-7551] – Add folksonomy tag support to areas, instruments, and series
- [MBS-7784] – Support for data tracks in tracklists
- [MBS-7883] – Make sure delete_unused_url doesn’t remove URLs used in edits
I’m slacking again and it’s a day late, but here’s another server release, almost kinda on schedule!
We’ve included a few nice improvements this release:
- Better ways to use Track MBIDs (added in May 2013!), by both linking to their URLs on the site and by allowing them to be used as a linked entity for release lookups (this work by ianmcorvidae, with a bit added by chirlu).
- Place coordinates can now be selected using a map on the edit page and feedback on proper coordinate formatting needn’t wait for a full form submission (thanks nikki!). This new interface can be seen in the image accompanying this post!
- When the Internet Archive is likely to reject Cover Art Archive uploads, a warning should now be shown on the site (thanks to the IA for implementing an endpoint to use for this, and nikki for integrating it).
- Data entered on the site should now be normalized according to Unicode Normalization Form C (or NFC), which means that, for example, a character entered with a separate combining acute accent will be normalized to a combined character where one is available (thanks to chirlu for this work).
- A variety of edit listing pages, including edit search, should be faster due to an overhaul in our query generation and database indexing (thanks to chirlu for this!).
- A variety of other bug fixes and smaller improvements, as usual (thanks to bitmap, ianmcorvidae, nikki, and chirlu for various pieces).
The git tag for this release is
The full list of issues, as usual:
- [MBS-7750] – Video attribute displays confusingly as “(true)”
- [MBS-7875] – “Recording of” relationship inherits instrument from artist
- [MBS-7886] – Internal server error when trying to include ratings for places in the webservice
- [MBS-7888] – Searching in a new tab from relationship editor disables search button
- [MBS-7892] – Instrument merge process has not been updated for creditable attributes
- [MBS-7893] – Disambiguation not displayed in area search results
- [MBS-7905] – ISE when including place-rels and fmt=json
- [MBS-7915] – Tracklist missing on “Set track durations” page
- [MBS-7916] – “Set track durations” preview is broken for single-track mediums
- [MBS-3725] – webservice discid lookup should accept query with only a toc
- [MBS-5553] – Tell the user before uploading when the Cover Art Archive is down
- [MBS-6010] – Normalise text to NFC
- [MBS-6829] – Select place location using a map
- [MBS-6972] – Provide immediate feedback when editing coordinates
- [MBS-7634] – Standardise lightbox image links from Commons
- [MBS-7693] – Release Editor’s “edit the release group” does not open in a new tab
- [MBS-7831] – Votes by Editor is ordered by edit time, but would be more useful ordered by vote time.
- [MBS-7869] – Make edit search faster
- [MBS-7895] – Make reordering mediums an auto-edit
- [MBS-7896] – Deal better with track MBIDs when merging releases
- [MBS-7897] – Provide a way to look up things by track MBID via the WS
- [MBS-7898] – Link to track MBIDs from the tracklist
A day late on this, due to the summit, sickness, and a variety of travel. But we’ve got you all another release to kick around!
The git tag for this release is
We’ve only got two actual tickets this release, which follow:
- [MBS-7642] – Areas displayed in wrong order?
- [MBS-7871] – Features using localStorage don’t handle quota exceeded/out of device space errors
Other work that was done this release primarily relates to sitemaps and json-ld (for which we haven’t been making tickets) and refactoring of guess case code, as well as some other small fixes. The full list of commits is available at https://github.com/metabrainz/musicbrainz-server/compare/v-2014-09-15…v-2014-09-30 for the specifically curious.