A small release this fortnight as our various developers have been working on bigger projects. However, a few fixes made it in, including making edit searches which time out a lot nicer to use/reword, some better documentation, and slightly better coordinate-parsing.
Thanks to bitmap, chirlu, and the rest of the usual team for this release!
- [MBS-7396] – Move Disc ID box out of place
- [MBS-7984] – Edit searches which time out prevent the user from improving their search
- [MBS-8002] – Width missing on checkbox column of events list
- [MBS-8081] – “Remove selected releases from collection” no longer works
- [MBS-8097] – “Add relationship type” edits don’t store the ID of the new type
- [MBS-8113] – Strip whitespace when parsing coordinates
- [MBS-6439] – Pasting MBIDs into search fields should not be a hidden feature
- [MBS-7565] – manual→automatic series edit leads to potentially great data loss
- [MBS-8101] – Don’t immediately start the edit search when following a “Refine” link
- [MBS-8122] – Allow switching to direct search when inline (indexed) search errors
- [MBS-8131] – Remove the “CD in hand” suggestion from the no edit note message
A day late, but hopefully no dollars short, we’re back with another release. This release is mostly bug fixes, as you’d expect right after a schema change release. nikki has done some work with our CSS, however, and chirlu did some work updating and clarifying our INSTALL.md. Thanks to them, mineo, and the MetaBrainz team for their work this release!
The git tag for this release is
The usual list of bugs fixed:
- [MBS-4232] – Edit artist shows artists credits section when it doesn’t apply
- [MBS-4622] – Improve handling of cover art when JS is off
- [MBS-6971] – No controls for uploading cover artwork in IE8
- [MBS-7497] – cpanm install fails with Can’t locate File/Copy/Recursive.pm in @INC
- [MBS-7952] – Release editor does not handle removed mediums correctly when reordering mediums
- [MBS-7988] – Adding a pregap track to an existing tracklist and it shows as a data track
- [MBS-7992] – Data track option doesn’t behave properly with disc IDs
- [MBS-7993] – Edit medium edits for pre-gap tracks claim to change data tracks
- [MBS-7995] – DBDefs.pm.sample is still at schema version 20
- [MBS-8011] – Last.fm event URLs don’t get matched
- [MBS-8013] – Cannot add data track to release
- [MBS-8018] – “TypeError: MB.typeInfoByID[i] is undefined” when creating an event series
- [MBS-8022] – Sorting event collections doesn’t work
- [MBS-8024] – FixTrackLength script is setting incorrect lengths on pregap tracks
- [MBS-8029] – Collections overview uses “Releases” even for events
- [MBS-8033] – Encoding issue in some “explanation balloons”
- [MBS-8034] – Duplicate relationships with attributes cause internal server error in release relationship editor
- [MBS-6332] – Allow sorting releases in collections by release date
- [MBS-6333] – Allow sorting releases in collections by release country
- [MBS-7824] – Add Barcode column to Collections releases view
- [MBS-7997] – Show area in event lists
- [MBS-8001] – Use larger Gravatar images on higher pixel density displays
- [MBS-8009] – URL Cleanup should clean FB event links better
- [MBS-8036] – Add URL matching for setlist.fm
- [MBS-6682] – Add eu.ftp.musicbrainz.org to INSTALL.md
This upgrade shouldn’t be substantially different than past upgrades, now that we’ve fixed a few bugs with the process. To upgrade:
- Make sure your
REPLICATION_TYPE setting is
RT_SLAVE and your
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCE is set to 20 in
- Ensure you’ve replicated up to the most recent replication packet available with the old schema. (if you’re not sure, run
./admin/replication/LoadReplicationChanges and see what it tells you).
- Take down the web server running MusicBrainz, if you’re running a web server.
- Turn off cron jobs if you are automatically updating the database via cron jobs.
- Switch to the new code with
git fetch origin followed by
git checkout schema-change-20-to-21
carton exec -Ilib -- ./upgrade.sh if you’re using carton, with very old setups).
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCE to 21 in
- Turn cron jobs back on, if needed.
- Restart the MusicBrainz web server, if applicable. It’s also recommended you restart memcached.
That’s it! The only real difference from the past is the specific tag to be used:
schema-change-20-to-21, which is a couple of fix-up commits past the regular release tag.
We’re back with the schema change release, as promised! We only have a small collection of tickets, but several big things:
- Pre-gap tracks and data tracks for CDs (where neither contribute to the discid, and pre-gap tracks have position of 0)
- Collections can now be marked with types such as “owned” and “wishlist”, plus some special new types mentioned below.
- CDStub data is now replicated.
- All entities (except URLs) should now support tagging, as areas, instruments, and series were made taggable.
- Events! And, additionally, event collections. All (non-deleted) users should have had an “Attending” and a “Maybe Attending” collection created, with the corresponding collection types.
Upgrade instructions will come in another blog post, though they should be substantially unchanged from past releases. Specifically, we’d like to confirm everything’s working correctly with a specific git commit, and make a new tag, before we post a recommendation, since there’s already been some problems discovered. Some slacker must not have tested this carefully enough (author whistles in an innocent-sounding fashion).
The git commit for this release (sans small fixes that have happened since release earlier today and any others that may need fixing) is
- [MBS-7638] – CreateIndexes for instruments wrongly looks at label tables
- [MBS-967] – Support for hidden pre-gap tracks
- [MBS-1059] – Types of list/collection
- [MBS-7551] – Add folksonomy tag support to areas, instruments, and series
- [MBS-7784] – Support for data tracks in tracklists
- [MBS-7883] – Make sure delete_unused_url doesn’t remove URLs used in edits
I’m slacking again and it’s a day late, but here’s another server release, almost kinda on schedule!
We’ve included a few nice improvements this release:
- Better ways to use Track MBIDs (added in May 2013!), by both linking to their URLs on the site and by allowing them to be used as a linked entity for release lookups (this work by ianmcorvidae, with a bit added by chirlu).
- Place coordinates can now be selected using a map on the edit page and feedback on proper coordinate formatting needn’t wait for a full form submission (thanks nikki!). This new interface can be seen in the image accompanying this post!
- When the Internet Archive is likely to reject Cover Art Archive uploads, a warning should now be shown on the site (thanks to the IA for implementing an endpoint to use for this, and nikki for integrating it).
- Data entered on the site should now be normalized according to Unicode Normalization Form C (or NFC), which means that, for example, a character entered with a separate combining acute accent will be normalized to a combined character where one is available (thanks to chirlu for this work).
- A variety of edit listing pages, including edit search, should be faster due to an overhaul in our query generation and database indexing (thanks to chirlu for this!).
- A variety of other bug fixes and smaller improvements, as usual (thanks to bitmap, ianmcorvidae, nikki, and chirlu for various pieces).
The git tag for this release is
The full list of issues, as usual:
- [MBS-7750] – Video attribute displays confusingly as “(true)”
- [MBS-7875] – “Recording of” relationship inherits instrument from artist
- [MBS-7886] – Internal server error when trying to include ratings for places in the webservice
- [MBS-7888] – Searching in a new tab from relationship editor disables search button
- [MBS-7892] – Instrument merge process has not been updated for creditable attributes
- [MBS-7893] – Disambiguation not displayed in area search results
- [MBS-7905] – ISE when including place-rels and fmt=json
- [MBS-7915] – Tracklist missing on “Set track durations” page
- [MBS-7916] – “Set track durations” preview is broken for single-track mediums
- [MBS-3725] – webservice discid lookup should accept query with only a toc
- [MBS-5553] – Tell the user before uploading when the Cover Art Archive is down
- [MBS-6010] – Normalise text to NFC
- [MBS-6829] – Select place location using a map
- [MBS-6972] – Provide immediate feedback when editing coordinates
- [MBS-7634] – Standardise lightbox image links from Commons
- [MBS-7693] – Release Editor’s “edit the release group” does not open in a new tab
- [MBS-7831] – Votes by Editor is ordered by edit time, but would be more useful ordered by vote time.
- [MBS-7869] – Make edit search faster
- [MBS-7895] – Make reordering mediums an auto-edit
- [MBS-7896] – Deal better with track MBIDs when merging releases
- [MBS-7897] – Provide a way to look up things by track MBID via the WS
- [MBS-7898] – Link to track MBIDs from the tracklist
A day late on this, due to the summit, sickness, and a variety of travel. But we’ve got you all another release to kick around!
The git tag for this release is
We’ve only got two actual tickets this release, which follow:
- [MBS-7642] – Areas displayed in wrong order?
- [MBS-7871] – Features using localStorage don’t handle quota exceeded/out of device space errors
Other work that was done this release primarily relates to sitemaps and json-ld (for which we haven’t been making tickets) and refactoring of guess case code, as well as some other small fixes. The full list of commits is available at https://github.com/metabrainz/musicbrainz-server/compare/v-2014-09-15…v-2014-09-30 for the specifically curious.
Another release! Due to holiday here in the US, and poor planning on the part of yours truly, a day late. The biggest thing this release is that we’ve finally enabled instrument credits, the schema changes for which were added in May of 2013. This means it should now be possible to enter the names of instruments as credited, whether or not this matches the name of the instrument entity in MusicBrainz! Thanks to bitmap and chirlu for fixing the bulk of the issues this release.
The git tag for this release corresponds to the correct day of release, so is
v-2014-09-01. The full list of fixed issues, as usual:
- [MBS-4531] – Pending edits not highlighted in appearances section of relationships tab
- [MBS-4673] – Pending edits are not highlighted in artist credits
- [MBS-5511] – “see all versions” release group link is missing the “moderation pending” pending edits orange background colour
- [MBS-6088] – Pending relationship edits are not highlighted on inline release display
- [MBS-6540] – Artist not highlighted on release page even though it has pending edits
- [MBS-7371] – Release editor does not warn about unlinked label
- [MBS-7554] – “Remove relationship” edits don’t store the “ended” field
- [MBS-7670] – ISE when adding catalog for recording
- [MBS-7767] – Mini relationship editor may change unrelated ARs
- [MBS-7776] – Text attribute with value “0” is not displayed
- [MBS-7779] – Tabs in dropdown menus show as ” “
- [MBS-7809] – Track parser can cause track to disappear with mysterious validation error