We’re now 60 days away from our fall schema change, so we’re announcing the tickets we intend to implement for the next schema change release:
- [MBS-1059] – Types of list/collection: This new feature will allow a user to specify what type of list/collection they have.
- [MBS-5458] – CD Stubs replication: Replicate the CD Stub data as part of our replicated data feed.
- [MBS-6201] – Add an “event” entity: This is the big feature for this release. This feature allows us to record events like concerts or recordings, both future events and past events!
- [MBS-7551] – Add folksonomy tag support to all entities without them. This features will allow users to tag any of our entities.
- [MBS-7638] – CreateIndexes for instruments wrongly looks at label tables: During our last release we created an incorrect index. This fixes this mistake.
- [MBS-7784] – Support for data tracks in tracklists: This new feature would allow us to properly track Audio-CD data tracks in our tracklists.
Besides the events, there isn’t anything earth shattering in here.
Due to two conflicting summits in (our own and the GSoC Summit) around our usual schema change release date, we’ve decided to move the autumn schema change to 17 November, 2014. This will ensure that our developers are properly rested before attempting a hard task such as a schema change.
We hope this won’t cause too much trouble for everyone downstream.
Hello again! This fortnight, as we’ve mentioned among the past few posts, is our twice-annual schema change release! This means that we’ve got some big changes, as well as special upgrade instructions.
In the former category, we’ve added support for two new entities: Series and Instruments, each of which is exactly what it sounds like. We’ve also done some various cleanup (tables missing from replication, making some attribute-style tables (e.g., label types) trees, and more properly orderable, removing unuseful sortnames). In non-schema-change fixes, we’ve fixed some merging for Artist Credits, show Area names after Places routinely, and perhaps most excitingly, added smaller versions of the relationship editor for other entities. It’s now possible to add relationships to any entity from most entity edit pages, expanding on our previous addition of URL editing!
As far as upgrading:
- Ensure you’ve replicated up to the most recent replication packet available with the old schema. (if you’re not sure, run
./admin/replication/LoadReplicationChanges and see what it tells you).
- Take down the web server running MusicBrainz, if you’re running a web server.
- Turn off cron jobs if you are automatically updating the database via cron jobs.
- Make sure your
REPLICATION_TYPE setting is
- Switch to the new code with
git fetch origin followed by
git checkout v-2014-05-14-schema-change
carton exec -Ilib -- ./upgrade.sh if you’re using carton, with older installs).
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCE to 20 in
- Turn cron jobs back on, if needed.
- Restart the MusicBrainz web server, if applicable. It’s also recommended you restart memcached.
The git tag for this release, as mentioned above in the instructions, is
Full release notes, as usual:
- [MBS-5978] – Replication feed is missing release_tag
- [MBS-6709] – “None” is no longer the last Packaging type after adding Book and Cassette Case
- [MBS-7482] – Artist merge with AC renaming does not merge identical ACs
- [MBS-2410] – Label types not a tree anymore
- [MBS-2714] – Add support for Series.
- [MBS-5897] – Make it possible to see edit JSON in the case of an ISE or poor data display
- [MBS-6144] – Remove the apparently-unused script_language table
- [MBS-6602] – Remove sortnames from areas
- [MBS-6603] – Remove sortnames from labels
- [MBS-6651] – Make it possible to disable dates for relationship types
- [MBS-6886] – Display area after place names
- [MBS-6887] – Model coordinates without nullable latitude and longitude
- [MBS-7205] – Link types should track assumed cardinality
- [MBS-7411] – Don’t require disambiguation comments for places from different areas
- [MBS-7470] – Merging/combining RG types (primary/secondary) is unintuitive
- [MBS-3674] – Make instruments entities
- [MBS-6234] – Add a relationship editor to artists, labels, recordings, release-groups, places, areas and works
- [MBS-7441] – Check non-replicated changes to DB that have happened since last schema change
The schema change release is approaching fast and we’re making good progress taking care of all the tasks that need to be completed. During yesterday’s meeting we agreed on the time to do this release: 14 May 1600UTC (9am PDT, 11am Chicago, 17h BST, 18h CEST, timezone map).
We will start the release process at this time — the exact time when the site will be down will depend on how long it will take us to walk through our pre-release checklist. We will be announcing the exact downtime via Twitter (@musicbrainz) and via a banner on the main MusicBrainz pages.
We expect our downtime to be somewhere between 15-30 minutes.
Due to a travel schedule snafu, we need to pull our schema change release day in by one day. The new release date for our schema change release is 14 May, 2014.
Sorry for having to make this change!
As promised last week, here is a more detailed explanation of what is going to be changing during our May 15th schema change release:
- [MBS-5978] – Replication feed is missing release_tag: This will not change any database tables but will finally include release_tag data in our Live Data Feed.
- [MBS-6709] – "None" is no longer the last Packaging type after adding Book and Cassette Case: See below for more details.
- [MBS-2410] – Label types not a tree anymore: This bug and MBS-6709 add “parent”, “child_order” and “description” columns to all of the yellow tables on this diagram except for language, script and script_language.
- [MBS-2714] – Add support for Series: Details are provided in the ticket itself.
- [MBS-6144] – Remove the apparently-unused script_language table: Exactly what it says on the tin.
- [MBS-6602] – Remove sortnames from areas: Removes the sortname column from the area table.
- [MBS-6603] – Remove sortnames from labels: Removes the sortname column from the label table.
- [MBS-6651] – Make it possible to disable dates for relationship types: Adds a “has_dates” boolean column to link_type, to indicate whether a particular relationship type allows dates or not. The upgrade will set them all to “can have dates” for now and we will manually disable the appropriate ones later.
- [MBS-7205] – Link types should track assumed cardinality: Details are provided in the ticket itself.
- [MBS-3674] – Make instruments entities: This adds the following tables: instrument, instrument_type, instrument_gid_redirect, instrument_alias, instrument_alias_type, instrument_annotation, edit_instrument, l_*_instrument, l_instrument_* (the usual AR tables to other entities).
As per our twice a year schedule of making schema changes that impact our Live Data Feed users, I’d like to announce the set of tickets that we’re going to implement for the next release.
We have quite a few clean-up tickets in this batch and a handful of improvements — some of the improvements are a lot of work, but won’t seem that way on the surface. However, the one major new feature we’re going to add are Series. Series will allow us to mark a set of releases as belonging to a series (e.g. Now this is what I call crappy music!). This has been a long long requested feature and we’re finally at a point where we can implement this.
The good news about this release is that a large number of the tickets are already implemented! The big tickets are still in progress, but the smaller ones are already in review. We’re hoping that we’ll have a less hasty push to the finish line this year with lots of time for testing. And we’re hoping for ponies too! :)