Today’s release fixes some editing bugs and adds a useful option to the edit search for finding edits by newbie editors (those who have a low accepted-edit count). The git tag is
v-2015-11-02 and the changelog is below.
(This release is a day late because I’d been traveling back from the MB summit all day yesterday.)
- [MBS-8580] – “Reorder mediums” edit is stuck after being left open and trying to move a medium into a position that already has one
- [MBS-8590] – Can’t clear relationship credits
- [MBS-2677] – Filter by edit count of the editor (newbie search)
- [MBS-8588] – Improve ContactUs page
- [MBS-8611] – Refactor query_to_list into a role
Today’s release fixes some bugs causing certain open edits to get stuck, and improves on our URL auto-selection code. Notably, URL shorteners are now detected and blocked from being entered.
The git tag is
- [MBS-8571] – Stuck edit: medium_positions does not account for all mediums in all releases
- [MBS-8572] – Stuck edit: update or delete on table “recording” violates foreign key constraint “recording_alias_fk_recording” on table “recording_alias”
- [MBS-8573] – “Edit artist” edit can be entered with a disambiguation comment containing only whitespace
- [MBS-6534] – URL autoselect LinkedIn → has a social networking page at
- [MBS-7904] – Block URL shorterners
- [MBS-8244] – Add “social network” autoselect for foursquare
Besides the changes listed below, this release should mark the completion of the incremental sitemaps work required by Google. Practically, this means I’ll have more time to work on user-facing features from now on.
Thanks to Gentlecat and Zas for their work on today’s release. The git tag is
- [MBS-7828] – Seeding secondary types doesn’t work
- [MBS-8553] – Internal server error when an automatic series reordering involves multiple of the same entity
- [MBS-8561] – The entity type should be preselected when following an “Add to a new collection” link on an entities page
- [MBS-8554] – Cache area containments
- [MBS-8560] – Add Google Play to the sidebar
It was brought to my attention that the tarball for the libcoverart 1.0.0 release wasn’t built correctly, and contained files within a confusingly named subdirectory.
I’ve rebuilt the tarball, and made it available via GitHub as usual. Please note that as a result of this, the MD5 checksum of the tarball has changed. The file content of the archive is, however, unchanged.
The new tarball is available here: libcoverart-1.0.0.tar.gz (MD5 checksum: 856d83a4e57a2325c168eb979b9c00d8)
The MusicBrainz documentation page for the library was also updated to reflect this.
For the first time in a number of years we have a person responsible for system administration! Over the past few years we’ve been trying to spread the duties to maintain our servers among our developers. This only worked so well and the duties are piling up and not being attended to.
With the introduction of our new MetaBrainz site in May, we finally have an increasing revenue stream, which allows us to finally hire a paid sysadmin. Hopefully we can work on our back log of tasks now.
Laurent Monin (aka Zas) is no stranger to our project — he has been hacking on Picard for a number of years and he attended last year’s summit in Copenhagen. I’m quite happy to have found a community member and long-standing contributor to take on this task.
Some of the first tasks that Laurent will take on are from direct feedback from our blog series about community improvements. We’re hoping to consolidate our mailing lists and forums into a Discourse instance and then provide single sign on for Discourse, our Wiki and Jira. Stuff we’ve talked about for years, but never have made any progress on.
I’m quite excited to have Zas on board! Welcome!
We just have a small release today, so I’ll let the changelog speak for itself. I’m currently focused on finishing implementing the hourly sitemaps required by Google (to indicate when our embedded JSON-LD markup last changed), and Roman Tsukanov is continuing to familiarize himself with our huge codebase. So, development in other areas will pick up in time. :)
The git tag for today’s release is
- [MBS-8370] – « Format: Medium » is shown instead of, for instance, « Format: CD »
- [MBS-8534] – Label-only release label edits no longer display the catalog number
- [MBS-8523] – For Places, rename “founded” and “defunct” to “opened” and “closed”
If you’re like me, you may have noticed a sudden drop in activity in #musicbrainz-devel (if you’re not like me, you may still have noticed it). This is not because we all suddenly dropped off the face of the earth (not all of us anyway), nay, we simply decided to move to #metabrainz!
#musicbrainz-devel was registered on Freenode on February 16th, 2009. That’s almost 6 years and 7 months ago! However, over the last months, it has been as much (if not more!) about AcousticBrainz, CritiqueBrainz, and two brand new members of the Brainz family (stay tuned for more news on these!) as it has been about MusicBrainz. The channel has also been home to a lot of non-MusicBrainz specific MetaBrainz talk, e.g., talk about my hire, Roman’s hire, upcoming hires (stay tuned for news on this as well!), server administration, finances, … – you get the picture. In light of this we decided to rename #musicbrainz-devel to #metabrainz, and also merge the more quiet channels of #bookbrainz and #bookbrainz-devel into this new channel.
So thank you to #musicbrainz-devel for your proud service over the years, and welcome to #metabrainz, I hope you do us just as much credit as your predecessor did! I hope to see a lot of you in #metabrainz over the next few days, to join in the celebrations with a nice virtual cup of tea or other beverage of your choice.
Freso, your friendly neighbourhood community manager <3