In the last two weeks I managed to combine working on MusicBrainz, creating a new open source project and earning money to pay the bills! This is quite rare these days, so I am pleased all around.
As some of you may know, I have been doing contract work for CD Baby. When Derek, the owner and lead geek at CD Baby, asked me what MusicBrainz does for searching, I launched into a long cheerleading rant about Lucene. I managed to convince Derek that Lucene is the way to go, and to convince him to sponsor the open source development of the new Lucene Web Service. Luckily Derek agreed that as long as the project was going to be available under the BSD license that he would agree to open source the work.
Triple cheers for Derek and CD Baby please!
So, the web service is now done and I’ve applied for a new project on SourceForge — once that is approved, I will release the source code for everyone to check out. I’ll post another message here when that is complete.
If you’d like to check out the working web service, try this link.