Server Update 2013-04-22 and a Notice Regarding Passwords

We’ve just finished deploying a new update to the MusicBrainz website, but before covering release notes we’d like to clarify a few points regarding the recent password leak.

There have been a few reports suggesting that MusicBrainz was attacked or compromised, but we can assure that this is not the case. As stated in our original blog post, we accidentally included private information in our otherwise routine public backups. As the majority of MusicBrainz data is available under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA or CC0, these backups are intended to be public – the mistake was the human error in accidentally including password hashes.

A few of you also mentioned that we didn’t respond in a timely fashion in alerting users via emails. We completely agree with these comments, and apologise for not being able to respond quicker. Unfortunately, we did not have the infrastructure to do such mass mailing, and as we didn’t want to rush this out to the point of making yet more errors, it took us a little longer than we all would have liked.

With that out of the way, here’s what we’ve done in the last fortnight. Many thanks to Michael Wiencek, Nicolás Tamargo, and the rest of the MusicBrainz team for their work on this release.

Bug

  • [MBS-4277] – Guess Case: Keep uppercase option should be clearer
  • [MBS-4468] – “Enter vote” button incorrectly also adds edit note
  • [MBS-5597] – Funky Caps inConsisTency in Edit search paGes (presets or not)
  • [MBS-5832] – Rating not showing on Merge Recordings page
  • [MBS-5967] – No feedback after editing a user
  • [MBS-5998] – Barcodes incorrectly represented in mo RDF
  • [MBS-6077] – Reorder tracks edit not working
  • [MBS-6081] – Viewing MusicBrainz Events and Cover Art information makes the CAA launch event appear to the left of the actual graph
  • [MBS-6082] – “Remove Label” edit page has broken documentation link
  • [MBS-6100] – Internal server error with webservice requests which require authentication
  • [MBS-6111] – Amazon taking precedence over CAA after merging releases
  • [MBS-6121] – Logging in with non-ascii password throws exception
  • [MBS-6122] – Unable to merge release groups when cover art is set
  • [MBS-6169] – Check for edit user uses the wrong sub

Improvement

  • [MBS-4632] – Link to archive.org item from cover art tab
  • [MBS-4658] – Report: duplicate ISWCs
  • [MBS-5261] – Link to How to Add Disc IDs from the Disc ID tab of releases
  • [MBS-5667] – Rename “Other release groups”
  • [MBS-5800] – Remove restriction on entering standalone recordings
  • [MBS-6001] – Make the autoeditor election overview more useful
  • [MBS-6034] – label search is missing country column
  • [MBS-6086] – Setting cover art type (from nothing to something) should be an autoedit
  • [MBS-6109] – Work search doesn’t show type
  • [MBS-6110] – Relate To URL should auto-identify audiojelly.com as “can be purchased for download” relation.
  • [MBS-6119] – Seeing vote counts on closed elections shouldn’t require log in

New Feature

  • [MBS-1891] – Anchors/Permalinks on Edit Notes
  • [MBS-5737] – Notification when RE has created a release

Task

  • [MBS-6096] – Add soundtrackcollector.com to the Other Databases whitelist

The Git tag for this release is v-2013-04-11.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s