Hello again! This fortnight, as we’ve mentioned among the past few posts, is our twice-annual schema change release! This means that we’ve got some big changes, as well as special upgrade instructions.
In the former category, we’ve added support for two new entities: Series and Instruments, each of which is exactly what it sounds like. We’ve also done some various cleanup (tables missing from replication, making some attribute-style tables (e.g., label types) trees, and more properly orderable, removing unuseful sortnames). In non-schema-change fixes, we’ve fixed some merging for Artist Credits, show Area names after Places routinely, and perhaps most excitingly, added smaller versions of the relationship editor for other entities. It’s now possible to add relationships to any entity from most entity edit pages, expanding on our previous addition of URL editing!
As far as upgrading:
- Ensure you’ve replicated up to the most recent replication packet available with the old schema. (if you’re not sure, run
./admin/replication/LoadReplicationChangesand see what it tells you).
- Take down the web server running MusicBrainz, if you’re running a web server.
- Turn off cron jobs if you are automatically updating the database via cron jobs.
- Make sure your
- Switch to the new code with
git fetch originfollowed by
git checkout v-2014-05-14-schema-change
carton exec -Ilib -- ./upgrade.shif you’re using carton, with older installs).
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCEto 20 in
- Turn cron jobs back on, if needed.
- Restart the MusicBrainz web server, if applicable. It’s also recommended you restart memcached.
The git tag for this release, as mentioned above in the instructions, is
Full release notes, as usual:
- [MBS-5978] – Replication feed is missing release_tag
- [MBS-6709] – “None” is no longer the last Packaging type after adding Book and Cassette Case
- [MBS-7482] – Artist merge with AC renaming does not merge identical ACs
- [MBS-2410] – Label types not a tree anymore
- [MBS-2714] – Add support for Series.
- [MBS-5897] – Make it possible to see edit JSON in the case of an ISE or poor data display
- [MBS-6144] – Remove the apparently-unused script_language table
- [MBS-6602] – Remove sortnames from areas
- [MBS-6603] – Remove sortnames from labels
- [MBS-6651] – Make it possible to disable dates for relationship types
- [MBS-6886] – Display area after place names
- [MBS-6887] – Model coordinates without nullable latitude and longitude
- [MBS-7205] – Link types should track assumed cardinality
- [MBS-7411] – Don’t require disambiguation comments for places from different areas
- [MBS-7470] – Merging/combining RG types (primary/secondary) is unintuitive
- [MBS-3674] – Make instruments entities
- [MBS-6234] – Add a relationship editor to artists, labels, recordings, release-groups, places, areas and works
- [MBS-7441] – Check non-replicated changes to DB that have happened since last schema change