Sambhav’s GSoC project is all about Picard 2.0, and among progress made the devel version is now installable via PyPi: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/picard_dev
To install the dev builds you need to have a Python 3.5 or greater. At the moment it is mainly a port of 1.4.x to Python 3 and Qt5, with support for HiDPI and new icons !
Please note that Picard Dev version uses a different config file than your stable Picard installation. As such the settings and plugins will be on their default configuration.
To use your stable config with the dev version, simple copy your “Picard.ini” file from your MusicBrainz user folder to “Picard Dev.ini” which can be found in the same folder.
Since testers may want to run a stable 1.4.x version along the 2.0 dev one, the executable is named “picard_dev”.
Of course, we encourage people to test this version on every platform they can, and report any issue.
Thanks to Sambhav
for the fantastic job he did on this ! And stay tuned, more to come !
Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4.2 is now out.
This is mainly a bugfix release, the only notable improvement is related to TOPE/TOAL tags.
Users can get Windows and MacOSx packages from Picard website downloads section.
- [PICARD-1053] – Picard does not stop analyzer while moving
- [PICARD-1055] – picard hangs with: RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
- [PICARD-1070] – The “Convert Unicode punctuation characters to ASCII” function only works in certain tags
- [PICARD-1077] – ID3v2.4 text encoding settings are not saved correctly
- [PICARD-969] – Search dialog webservices get queued behind matched album requests
- [PICARD-1034] – Picard not seeing TOPE and TOAL
Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4.1 is now out, it contains few fixes and enhancements, plus few extra features that didn’t make it to 1.4.
As usual you can get Windows and MacOSx packages from Picard website downloads section.
Most notable changes are the fix of a regression concerning drag-n-drop on MacOSx and improved cover art box, with better visual feedback about changes in cover art images.
Thanks to all contributors who helped on this release: Antonio Larrosa, Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen, Laurent Monin, Lukáš Lalinský, Sambhav Kothari, Sophist, tungol, Ville Skyttä, Wieland Hoffmann.
And to all of our translators!
To report any issue about this release, please use our bug tracker. As usual you can also get help on the forum or on IRC (freenode, #musicbrainz).
We’ll now focus on 2.0, which will be mostly a port of 1.4.x to Python 3 and Qt5.
It will open the way to UI improvements, and improved overall performance.
- [PICARD-953] – Album shown matched even if extra unmatched files
- [PICARD-972] – Removing album with saves pending does not remove pending saves
- [PICARD-973] – Pending log messages not flushed to stderr on quit
- [PICARD-988] – Drag & Drop not working
- [PICARD-990] – Picard violating ID3 standard for TXXX frames
- [PICARD-996] – Disabling the cover art box and enabling it again doesn’t bring it back
- [PICARD-998] – Disabling the action toolbar sometimes doesn’t work
- [PICARD-1005] – If a cluster is moved to the album side of the main window it gets moved to unmatched files
- [PICARD-1006] – Drag and drop for cover arts doesnt work on OSX
- [PICARD-1010] – Unsetting View/Cover Art doesn’t work permanently
- [PICARD-1011] – Toolbar tab order incorrect after PICARD-908
- [PICARD-1014] – Number of images in release info is calculated incorrectly
- [PICARD-1015] – Artwork tab of the Track Info DIalog doesn’t show changes anymore
- [PICARD-1018] – CoverArtBox doesn’t show new/removed images after unmatched files are added/removed to the album
- [PICARD-1023] – Directory persistence for Add Directory needs tweaking
- [PICARD-1029] – Fix ~artists_sort metadata variable
- [PICARD-1042] – Missing import for PICARD_APP_NAME
- [PICARD-258] – Visual feedback for changes to artwork in before-after pane.
- [PICARD-1000] – Implement artwork diff for albums
- [PICARD-943] – Remove monkey patching of file write methods in picard formats
- [PICARD-1041] – Replace Ok button text by Make It So! in Options dialog
- [PICARD-223] – Remove should work when Unmatched Files is selected
- [PICARD-666] – Drop MP3 tagging support
- [PICARD-951] – Always use HTTPS for musicbrainz.org
- [PICARD-952] – Use Cover Art Archive over HTTPS
- [PICARD-961] – Mention AcoustID on Scan button too
- [PICARD-980] – Drag&drop cover art doesn’t work for images from amazon/google images/https links
- [PICARD-1012] – Buttons on the “User Interface” and “Scripting” pages are smaller than buttons in other places
- [PICARD-1016] – Multiple images in related tracks confusing
- [PICARD-1021] – Picard loads all pending files before quitting
- [PICARD-1024] – Allow specifying a configuration file path
- [PICARD-1030] – Allow to add/replace cover art images and keep existing cover art
Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4 is now out, containing many fixes and new features!
The last time we put out a stable release was more than 2 years ago, so a lot of changes have made it into this new release. If you’re in a hurry and just want to try it out, the downloads are available from the Picard website.
2 years is a long time for software, and Picard has been the subject of a couple of Google Summer of Code projects and plenty of developments required by changes in dependencies and the MusicBrainz project itself. Overall, the changes would be too numerous to list. If you’re curious to read it all, a complete list of changes can be seen on the website. Here are at least a few of the highlights: Continue reading
We set up a new european FTP mirror: ftp://ftp.eu.metabrainz.org
URLs to MusicBrainz Server Virtual Machines were changed in the process, you may find them at ftp://vm.musicbrainz.org/pub/musicbrainz-vm/, documentation was updated to reflect this change.
This is a maintenance release, mostly bug fixes. All users are encouraged to upgrade.
Binary packages are available at http://picard.musicbrainz.org/downloads/
- [PICARD-273] – Picard should use the correct Accept header when talking to web services.
- [PICARD-589] – Picard refuses to load files if any path component happens to be hidden
- [PICARD-642] – ConfigUpgradeError: Error during config upgrade from version 0.0.0dev0 to 1.0.0final0
- [PICARD-649] – Windows installer sets working directory to %PROGRAMFILES%\MusicBrainz Picard\locale
- [PICARD-655] – Last.fm plus tooltip help elements are all messed up
- [PICARD-661] – Regression: Tagger script for cover art filename does not work anymore
- [PICARD-662] – Retrieving collections causes AttributeError: release_list
- [PICARD-663] – Artist name makes it impossible to save
- [PICARD-658] – Support the new pregap and data tracks
- [PICARD-659] – Set the originalyear tag when loading a release
- [PICARD-665] – Web service calls to ports 80 and 443 do not need explicit port specification. 443 should be automatically made https.
Version 1.3 of Picard has been released today, with some notable features and bug fixes.
This release has few visible changes, but overall performance and stability were much improved. A lot of minor annoying issues were fixed. Cover art code was reworked, and notably one can now enable fallback on release group cover art if no cover art exists for a specific release.
Logging was improved, user can now enable debug mode from About →View Error/Debug Log, it may help to see what is going on if needed, passwords and sensible information were hidden from the log, so user can now safely post his log to get help.
To report any issue concerning this release, please use our bug tracker. As usual you can also get help on forum or on IRC (freenode, #musicbrainz).
Special thanks to Sophist, Wieland Hoffmann, Michael Wiencek, Johannes Dewender, Lukáš Lalinský, Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen, and the whole MusicBrainz Team.
Many thanks to all users, developers, bug reporters and translators. Code contributions since 1.2 are visible on Github Contributors graph.
Unfortunately the OAuth support patch (PICARD-305) didn’t make it in this release.
Picard 1.3 can be downloaded on the Picard’s website.
Be aware that downgrading from 1.3 to 1.2 may lead to configuration compatibility issues, better save your configuration before installing 1.3 if you intent to go back to 1.2.
Among changes since 1.2:
- The “About” window now displays the versions of libraries used by Picard
- Picard now correctly handles matching of MP3 files saved in ID3v2.3 tags (which is the version that Microsoft Windows and iTunes both use).
Note: You may need to re-save your tags once to get them to match in future.
- A sort tags plugin is now provided as tag data is no longer displayed sorted by default.
- A new tag, musicbrainz_releasetrackid, containing the MusicBrainz Track MBID introduced in the May 2013 schema change release, is now written to files.
- Add %_recordingtitle% (PICARD-515)
- Fix plugin install bugs (PICARD-444)
- Fix Options → File naming examples to handle primary/secondary release types (PICARD-516)
- A new advanced option is available to permanently set the starting directory for the file browser and “Add files/folder” buttons.
- Requests to Musicbrainz against your own account e.g. for collections are now handled through SSL (PICARD-337)
- Refresh of Albums using Ctrl-R and selection of Other Releases are now more responsive during batch lookups.
- Main window is now emitting a “selection_updated” signal, plugin api version bumps to 1.3.0
- Append system information to user-agent string
- Compilation tag/variable functionality (for tagging & file naming) has been split into two:
– %compilation% is now aligned with iTunes, and set only for Various Artists type compilations
– %_multiartist% variable now indicates whether this release has tracks by multiple artists
(in order to prepend the artist name to the filename as shown in the default file naming script)
- autodetect the CD drive on Mac OS X (PICARD-123)
- Ignore directories and files while indexing when show_hidden_files option is set to False (PICARD-528)
- Add ignore_regex option which allows one to ignore matching paths, can be set in Options → Advanced (PICARD-528)
- Added an “artists” multi-value tag to track metadata, based on the one in Jaikoz, which contains the individual artist names from the artist credit. Also useful in scripts (joining phrases like ‘feat:’ are omitted) and plugins.
- Added “_artists_sort“, “_albumartists“, “_albumartists_sort” variables for scripts and plugins.
- Made Picard use the country names also used on the MusicBrainz website (PICARD-205)
- New setup.py command `get_po_files` (Retrieve po files from transifex)
- New setup.py command `regen_pot_file` (Regenerate po/picard.pot)
- New Work tag (which for Classical music is often different from the track title) saved as ID3 TOAL tag.
- New Composer Sort Order tag (variable %composersort%).
- Improve the Other Releases list to prioritise and separate releases which match the correct number of tracks and your Options → Metadata → Prefered Releases settings for Country and Format.
- New %_absolutetracknumber% variable numbering tracks sequentially regardless of disc structure (so you can numbers tracks on multi-disc releases without a disc number)
- Support dropping image directly from Google image results to cover art box
- Add %_musicbrainz_tracknumber% to hold track # as shown on MusicBrainz release web-page e.g. vinyl/cassette style A1, A2, B1, B2
- Show the ID3 version of the file in the Info… dialog (Ctrl-I) (PICARD-218)
- Fixed a bug where Picard crashed if a MP3 file had malformed TRCK or TPOS tags (PICARD-112)
- Add –files option to setup.py build_ui, used to force .ui to .py regeneration (PICARD-566)
- New setup.py command `update_constants` (Regenerate countries.py and attributes.py)
- Made Picard use release groups, medium formats and cover art types also used on the MusicBrainz website
- Use MusicBrainz Server translations for release groups, medium formats and cover art types
- Add checkbox to toggle debug at runtime in log/debug view dialog
- Add a plugin to add Artist Official Homepage relationships to the website tag (ID3 WOAR tag)
- Add integrated functions $eq_any, $ne_all, $eq_all, $ne_any, $swapprefix and $delprefix.
- Add %_performance_attributes%, containing performance attributes for the work e.g. live, cover, medley etc.
- Use $inmulti in file naming scripts i.e. …$if($inmulti(%_performance_attributes%,medley), (Medley),)
- Add optional `priority` parameter to `register_album_metadata_processor()` and `register_track_metadata_processor()`
Default priority is `PluginPriority.NORMAL`, plugins registered with `PluginPriority.HIGH` will be run first, plugins registered with `PluginPriority.LOW` will run last
- Add Standardise Performers plugin to convert e.g. Performer [piano and guitar] into
Performer [piano] and Performer [guitar].
- Add support for release group cover art fallback (PICARD-418, PICARD-53)
- Add a clear button to search box
- Honour preferred release formats when matching AcoustIds (PICARD-631)
- Prevent ZeroDivisionError in some rare cases (PICARD-630)