Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4 is now out, containing many fixes and new features!
The last time we put out a stable release was more than 2 years ago, so a lot of changes have made it into this new release. If you’re in a hurry and just want to try it out, the downloads are available from the Picard website.
2 years is a long time for software, and Picard has been the subject of a couple of Google Summer of Code projects and plenty of developments required by changes in dependencies and the MusicBrainz project itself. Overall, the changes would be too numerous to list. If you’re curious to read it all, a complete list of changes can be seen on the website. Here are at least a few of the highlights: Continue reading
New features include a map of places contained in an area, thanks to work by loujine, and a report of instruments without an image, thanks to yvanz.
More URL cleanup fixes were submitted by yvanz, and a display bug with the locale drop-down was fixed by chirlu. Thanks again to all who contributed this release.
The git tag is
- [MBS-9062] – Correct play.spotify.com → open.spotify.com
- [MBS-8168] – Statistics for label types are missing from the stats pages
- [MBS-8236] – Recognise classicalarchives.com/artist/… URLs
- [MBS-9168] – Specific locales aren’t indented
- [MBS-9224] – The gulpfile sometimes produces a corrupt rev-manifest bundle
- [MBS-9229] – Regression: No longer able to add http://www.bandsintown.com URLs
- [MBS-9232] – Pinterest URL cleanup adds a second /
- [MBS-7795] – Display a map in Areas that shows all the places contained in the area.
- [MBS-9193] – Report instruments with neither image nor Wikidata item
- [MBS-8249] – Standardise and validate Spotify URLs
We have many more URL display, cleanup, and auto-selection fixes thanks to yvanz, and one from GCI student anshuman73. A bug with browse requests for instruments and series in our web service has been fixed by Zastai. Thanks to jonathonwiebe, too, for correcting an outdated link in our INSTALL file.
The git tag for today’s release is
- [MBS-9195] – Convert data.bnf.fr URLs into catalogue.bnf.fr ones
- [MBS-9128] – Unwanted “list” argument is not removed from YouTube URLs
- [MBS-9173] – JSON browse requests for instruments and series fail
- [MBS-8998] – Display CPDL score links on the sidebar
- [MBS-9194] – Add a bunch of sites to the “other database” whitelist
- [MBS-7734] – Improve Facebook URL clean up
- [MBS-8365] – Add autoselect, clean-up, and validation for Pinterest URLs
- [MBS-8390] – Add autoselect, clean-up, and validation + sidebar display for Bandsintown URLs
- [MBS-9002] – Disable and tick the “ended” checkbox when the end date field is filled
- [MBS-9159] – Enable URL cleanup for Instagram URLs
- [MBS-9181] – Improve ReverbNation URL cleanup
Libdiscid 0.6.2 includes these changes:
- ISRC and MCN support on BSD (Zastai)
- LIB-60: fix make check for default device on generic/unknown platform
- make Doxygen output reproducible (no timestamps; Sebastinas)
- remove newline for Linux device “1” from proc (Zastai)
The download can be found at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/libdiscid.
Python-discid 1.1.1 includes these changes:
The download can be found at https://python-discid.readthedocs.org/.
Thanks to chirlu, yvanz, and GCI students anshuman73, tigranl, and dpmittal for their contributions to today’s release. The git tag is
v-2017-01-16 and the changelog is below.
- [MBS-9175] – Attach TOC: Certain mediums with matching track count not shown when searching by artist
- [MBS-9180] – Near-identical duplicates of common-xxx.js
- [MBS-9186] – Gulpfile fails to build scripts in website containers
- [MBS-9196] – Wikidocs redirects are broken
- [MBS-9198] – Drop-down arrow in the top search missing in Firefox
- [MBS-7307] – Add LinkedIn URLs to sidebar
- [MBS-8828] – Add Songkick URLs to the sidebar
- [MBS-8851] – Add link to the blog on the footer
- [MBS-8995] – Add ReverbNation links to the sidebar
- [MBS-9143] – Remove the FreeDB search option
- [MBS-1319] – Special capitalization of dotted/dotless i/ı in Turkish
- [MBS-8868] – Display label logo for Wikimedia Commons url-relationship
This release features code from GCI student dpmittal, who fixed four of the tickets below under our mentorship. One of those tickets was for displaying the excellent artist icons that former GCI student (and current mentor) gcilou created. Those icons are displayed to the left of the name at the top of artist pages (examples: person, group, choir, orchestra, character, other). Nice work, gcilou and dpmittal! We also have various fixes and improvements thanks to chirlu and Zastai, listed below.
The git tag is
- [MBS-4159] – Vimeo relationship under the External links section
- [MBS-7009] – Exception if replication type is slave but no data in replication_control
- [MBS-8268] – Ratings (stars) display does not update on its own
- [MBS-9117] – CD Stub track count not serialized correctly
- [MBS-8359] – Add “Guess Case” function for Event names
- [MBS-8870] – Add Setlist.fm links to the sidebar
- [MBS-1352] – Different icon for Unknown/Person/Group on Artist pages
- [MBS-8542] – Blacklist Jaikoz from making barcode edits
No major changes, but the “Infer track durations from associated recordings” option in the release editor has been removed for being circular and unsound, because recording durations themselves are automatically inferred from tracks. Thanks again to chirlu and yvanz for their code contributions. The git tag is
- [MBS-9102] – Age calculation attempted when there is not enough data
- [MBS-9136] – “Tracks with sequence issues” report is broken
- [MBS-9138] – Unnecessary double attempt at getting a Commons image
- [MBS-9140] – NewHost: Name of locale with territory does not replace locale code in UI language selector
- [MBS-9142] – Artist-Artist relationship editing dialog does not show up in French
- [MBS-7654] – Remove “Infer track durations from associated recordings” option