Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4.1 is now out, it contains few fixes and enhancements, plus few extra features that didn’t make it to 1.4.
As usual you can get Windows and MacOSx packages from Picard website downloads section.
Most notable changes are the fix of a regression concerning drag-n-drop on MacOSx and improved cover art box, with better visual feedback about changes in cover art images.
Thanks to all contributors who helped on this release: Antonio Larrosa, Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen, Laurent Monin, Lukáš Lalinský, Sambhav Kothari, Sophist, tungol, Ville Skyttä, Wieland Hoffmann.
And to all of our translators!
To report any issue about this release, please use our bug tracker. As usual you can also get help on the forum or on IRC (freenode, #musicbrainz).
We’ll now focus on 2.0, which will be mostly a port of 1.4.x to Python 3 and Qt5.
It will open the way to UI improvements, and improved overall performance.
- [PICARD-953] – Album shown matched even if extra unmatched files
- [PICARD-972] – Removing album with saves pending does not remove pending saves
- [PICARD-973] – Pending log messages not flushed to stderr on quit
- [PICARD-988] – Drag & Drop not working
- [PICARD-990] – Picard violating ID3 standard for TXXX frames
- [PICARD-996] – Disabling the cover art box and enabling it again doesn’t bring it back
- [PICARD-998] – Disabling the action toolbar sometimes doesn’t work
- [PICARD-1005] – If a cluster is moved to the album side of the main window it gets moved to unmatched files
- [PICARD-1006] – Drag and drop for cover arts doesnt work on OSX
- [PICARD-1010] – Unsetting View/Cover Art doesn’t work permanently
- [PICARD-1011] – Toolbar tab order incorrect after PICARD-908
- [PICARD-1014] – Number of images in release info is calculated incorrectly
- [PICARD-1015] – Artwork tab of the Track Info DIalog doesn’t show changes anymore
- [PICARD-1018] – CoverArtBox doesn’t show new/removed images after unmatched files are added/removed to the album
- [PICARD-1023] – Directory persistence for Add Directory needs tweaking
- [PICARD-1029] – Fix ~artists_sort metadata variable
- [PICARD-1042] – Missing import for PICARD_APP_NAME
- [PICARD-258] – Visual feedback for changes to artwork in before-after pane.
- [PICARD-1000] – Implement artwork diff for albums
- [PICARD-943] – Remove monkey patching of file write methods in picard formats
- [PICARD-1041] – Replace Ok button text by Make It So! in Options dialog
- [PICARD-223] – Remove should work when Unmatched Files is selected
- [PICARD-666] – Drop MP3 tagging support
- [PICARD-951] – Always use HTTPS for musicbrainz.org
- [PICARD-952] – Use Cover Art Archive over HTTPS
- [PICARD-961] – Mention AcoustID on Scan button too
- [PICARD-980] – Drag&drop cover art doesn’t work for images from amazon/google images/https links
- [PICARD-1012] – Buttons on the “User Interface” and “Scripting” pages are smaller than buttons in other places
- [PICARD-1016] – Multiple images in related tracks confusing
- [PICARD-1021] – Picard loads all pending files before quitting
- [PICARD-1024] – Allow specifying a configuration file path
- [PICARD-1030] – Allow to add/replace cover art images and keep existing cover art
The ability of normal users to auto-edit their own release additions within an hour of entering them has been expanded to all entity types, not just releases. There’s also a new feature in the relationship editor dialog to control which relationship credits you’re changing. Thanks to yvanzo for working on those tickets.
We’ve also resolved some more URL cleanup/detection tickets, and fixed a bug in the release editor causing stub releases to get created. Zastai fixed our web service to respect the
Accept: header for search requests (thanks!).
The git tag is
v-2017-03-27 and the complete changelog is below.
- [MBS-8578] – If the checkbox to copy a Medium’s artist credits to the Recording is ticked, the release editor creates a stub and fails to submit relationships/URLs and Mediums
- [MBS-9258] – Web service search requests don’t pass Accept: header to search servlet
- [MBS-9288] – “Change all relationship credits” for source entity has no effect
- [MBS-9289] – Area places map doesn’t display
- [MBS-9290] – “video channel” link type shouldn’t be restricted
- [MBS-9287] – Update the YouTube logo used in the sidebar
- [MBS-8134] – Allow unreviewed edits on new entries for a period of time
- [MBS-8465] – Change similar relationship credits for on the page.
- [MBS-8522] – Add Twitch.tv to video channel relation and video stream auto-selectors
- [MBS-9291] – Add Dailymotion to video channel relation and video stream auto-selectors
Thanks to legoktm, loujin, reosarevok, Zastai, and the volunteer formerly known as yvanz for their contributions, which are listed below. The git tag is
v-2017-03-13. (Apologies that the release came a day late.)
- [MBS-8748] – Excessively long medium names cause horizontal scrolling
- [MBS-8905] – Editing release events in a 1 hour delay should be auto
- [MBS-8927] – Lowering release data quality in a 1 hour delay should be auto
- [MBS-9120] – Adding a setlist or a time to an event that doesn’t have one should be an auto-edit
- [MBS-9129] – JSON WS serializes ratings for Release
- [MBS-9215] – No way to select entity type when creating new attribute
- [MBS-9261] – WS/2 does not allow a search for URLs
- [MBS-9263] – Transclusion Table on MB.o is broken
- [MBS-9264] – Gulpfile fails on leaflet when compiling from source
- [MBS-9266] – Subheader of area pages has extra comma and misses proper i18n
- [MBS-9267] – Release page should display disambiguation comments for Works
- [MBS-9135] – Allow account admins to change usernames
- [MBS-8354] – Replacing hyphen-minus with em-dash should be an auto-edit
- [MBS-9230] – Hook up MusicBrainz to Sentry (replacing Catalyst::Plugin::ErrorCatcher::Email)
- [MBS-9255] – Show recordings length on a Work overview page
- [MBS-9260] – Changing between version of an ellipsis should be an autoedit
- [MBS-9268] – Hide empty columns in relationships table
Mostly a bug-fix release, with a few small improvements. Thanks a lot to yvanz, reosarevok, loujin, and ferbncode for their contributions. The git tag is
- [MBS-8931] – invalid ISRC creates Internal Server Error
- [MBS-9214] – Cover art types tick boxes are listed with scrollbars in Opera 42 Stable
- [MBS-9219] – [Multiple languages] (Basic) is automatically added when editing/saving an editor profile
- [MBS-9246] – Tool-tips displaying “undefined” text
- [MBS-9250] – Places map displays over header menus
- [MBS-9252] – Setup using INSTALL.md: cpanfile missing entry Plack::Middleware::Debug
- [MBS-9211] – Add autoselect, clean-up, and validation + sidebar for LiveFans URLs
- [MBS-9166] – Remove “early” from Guess Case
- [MBS-9176] – Add Release Group page shouldn’t display the artist tabs
- [MBS-9237] – Don’t immediately fill back the default AC while editor is typing
- [MBS-9254] – Show place dates on the Places list for areas
Official MusicBrainz cross-platform music tagger Picard 1.4 is now out, containing many fixes and new features!
The last time we put out a stable release was more than 2 years ago, so a lot of changes have made it into this new release. If you’re in a hurry and just want to try it out, the downloads are available from the Picard website.
2 years is a long time for software, and Picard has been the subject of a couple of Google Summer of Code projects and plenty of developments required by changes in dependencies and the MusicBrainz project itself. Overall, the changes would be too numerous to list. If you’re curious to read it all, a complete list of changes can be seen on the website. Here are at least a few of the highlights: Continue reading
New features include a map of places contained in an area, thanks to work by loujine, and a report of instruments without an image, thanks to yvanz.
More URL cleanup fixes were submitted by yvanz, and a display bug with the locale drop-down was fixed by chirlu. Thanks again to all who contributed this release.
The git tag is
- [MBS-9062] – Correct play.spotify.com → open.spotify.com
- [MBS-8168] – Statistics for label types are missing from the stats pages
- [MBS-8236] – Recognise classicalarchives.com/artist/… URLs
- [MBS-9168] – Specific locales aren’t indented
- [MBS-9224] – The gulpfile sometimes produces a corrupt rev-manifest bundle
- [MBS-9229] – Regression: No longer able to add http://www.bandsintown.com URLs
- [MBS-9232] – Pinterest URL cleanup adds a second /
- [MBS-7795] – Display a map in Areas that shows all the places contained in the area.
- [MBS-9193] – Report instruments with neither image nor Wikidata item
- [MBS-8249] – Standardise and validate Spotify URLs
We have many more URL display, cleanup, and auto-selection fixes thanks to yvanz, and one from GCI student anshuman73. A bug with browse requests for instruments and series in our web service has been fixed by Zastai. Thanks to jonathonwiebe, too, for correcting an outdated link in our INSTALL file.
The git tag for today’s release is
- [MBS-9195] – Convert data.bnf.fr URLs into catalogue.bnf.fr ones
- [MBS-9128] – Unwanted “list” argument is not removed from YouTube URLs
- [MBS-9173] – JSON browse requests for instruments and series fail
- [MBS-8998] – Display CPDL score links on the sidebar
- [MBS-9194] – Add a bunch of sites to the “other database” whitelist
- [MBS-7734] – Improve Facebook URL clean up
- [MBS-8365] – Add autoselect, clean-up, and validation for Pinterest URLs
- [MBS-8390] – Add autoselect, clean-up, and validation + sidebar display for Bandsintown URLs
- [MBS-9002] – Disable and tick the “ended” checkbox when the end date field is filled
- [MBS-9159] – Enable URL cleanup for Instagram URLs
- [MBS-9181] – Improve ReverbNation URL cleanup