Another two weeks, another release! A variety of bug fixes, primarily, and some assorted improvements. For those of you using replication on resource-constrained servers, this release includes code to make ProcessReplicationChanges run in constant memory, which should hopefully be an improvement.
With help from Michael Wiencek and the rest of the MusicBrainz team, here’s what we’ve done in the last fortnight:
- [MBS-1549] – Guess Case: “¿” in sentence mode
- [MBS-2151] – Editing Track Times should remove existing value
- [MBS-2959] – Release-group XML first release date is using incorrect sorting logic for incomplete dates
- [MBS-4389] – Editing artist credits shows “undefined” as disambiguation comment
- [MBS-4788] – Editing → Add Release allows user to set release type even when existing release group has been selected
- [MBS-5508] – Uploading cover art from https pages causes a warning about insecure pages
- [MBS-5965] – Remove relationship edits store translated attributes
- [MBS-6192] – Internal server error on ws query if offset is non-numeric
- [MBS-6220] – tooltip (title) shows “&” instead of “&”
- [MBS-6243] – “In x hours” is only shown for edit expiry times for the same day
- [MBS-6418] – Relationship editor allows adding more relationships than the server can handle
- [MBS-6546] – When the search server reports an internal server error the client receives a 400 status code
- [MBS-6558] – Internal server error logging in with a Unicode username
- [MBS-6570] – Removing relationship dates in the relationship editor fails
- [MBS-6571] – Filename display in cover art edits is hardcoded to jpg
- [MBS-6588] – “Direct database search” returns the same work as 2 different names
- [MBS-6591] – JSON: Composer and release lookup
- [MBS-6610] – Various Artist Alias and Tags should not be shown unless looking up Various Artist artist endpoint
- [MBS-6622] – All log in pages are not served via HTTPS
- [MBS-6628] – ModBot is unable to close some merge label edits
- [MBS-6630] – Remove button when uploading covers is shown after the image has been submitted
- [MBS-6632] – Relationship documentation examples don’t work with release groups
- [MBS-6637] – http://musicbrainz.org/release/add doesn’t redirect to beta when desired
- [MBS-6638] – ‘use beta site’ on main site will unset preference
- [MBS-6650] – Editing a relationship type allows submitting the form with no changes
- [MBS-6656] – Relationship editor fails when counting number of selected recordings
- [MBS-6657] – Internal server error when using a negative limit
- [MBS-6667] – Beta: No edit note field in the relationship editor
- [MBS-6677] – Donations from random end users dropped to nearly nil.
- [MBS-6679] – beta: ISE displaying artist edits
- [MBS-193] – Add open edit and cancelled edit stats to users
- [MBS-1820] – Release search results should include more information
- [MBS-2108] – More detail for works quicksearch
- [MBS-3204] – Better name/explanation or warning for type “Pseudo-Release”
- [MBS-6644] – ProcessReplicationChanges should be able to run in low memory environments
With the help of Freso and then generous support from Denmark based open source hosting provider dotsrc.org the MusicBrainz downloads (data and apps) are now available in the EU (FTP too!).
This should make data downloads quite a bit faster than trying to download them across a trans-atlantic link.
Thank you very much to the folks at dotsrc.org for setting this up and hosting it and for Freso for making this connection!
Paul Taylor worked on the latest release of our search server — thanks for fixing these bugs, Paul! The following issues were addressed:
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-08-14
- [SEARCH-306] – Advanced search can’t find areas by alias
- [SEARCH-315] – REGRESSION:Recording index is not outputting Release artist credit when different to recoridng artist credit (i.e. Various Artist)
We’ve just received our annual sponsorship from Google’s Open Source Programs Office to the tune of $40,000. Thanks so much for continuing to sponsor us, Google!
At the current count we’ve received nearly a quarter million dollars from Google’s Open Source Programs Office, which is truly amazing. Thanks for all your support, it clearly makes a big difference in our operations!
It’s a new month, which means it’s time for a a new release of MusicBrainz! This week we’re releasing a new version of the Cover Art Archive uploader, which now lets you upload multiple files at once, and also supports more file formats (including PNG and GIF):
Along with this, we’ve also solved a good selection of bugs, and have added a few little improvements along the way too. With help from Nicolás Tamargo and the rest of the MusicBrainz team, here’s what we’ve done in the last fortnight:
- [MBS-4669] – Webservice returns an ASIN that was added in a voted down edit
- [MBS-4981] – Cover art in sidebar links to CAA /front when no front is available
- [MBS-5625] – Date display problem in edit listings
- [MBS-6148] – Adding a disc ID automatically fills in durations without creating an edit
- [MBS-6262] – Release events section of the release editor is all over the place
- [MBS-6395] – medium_index not updating on medium inserts
- [MBS-6442] – robots.txt allows /login
- [MBS-6446] – Internal server error trying to register the username “0”
- [MBS-6469] – Selecting an example for a relationship type does not enable the “add example” button
- [MBS-6490] – 404 error when accessing /browse
- [MBS-6494] – Adding area of death should mark ended
- [MBS-6496] – Add release > Release duplicates (1CD) as a starting point > Add medium (CD2) : this CD2 gets CD1 recordings !
- [MBS-6549] – Release Editor Seeding : events.n.country = “JP” doesn’t work
- [MBS-6563] – Text “Cover art from Amazon” not shown under cover art, when other (non‐front) cover art have been uploaded to CAA
- [MBS-6565] – mm.musicbrainz.org should redirect to musicbrainz.org
- [MBS-6566] – Missing elements in webservice lookup
- [MBS-6586] – HASH(0xe228218) displaying a move disc ID edit
- [MBS-6596] – Release country showing as [removed] in edits
- [MBS-6600] – Internal server error displaying track 404 page
- [MBS-6604] – Unable to set up ANY recording-to-recording relationship in Relationship Editor
- [MBS-6605] – HASH(hex_value) is being displayed on the ISRC page instead of ISRC value
- [MBS-6606] – Edit relationship edits always apply even if the underlying relationship has changed
- [MBS-6608] – Internal server error viewing split artist page when logged out
- [MBS-6611] – Cover art uploader shows wrong/confusing filesizes
- [MBS-6614] – No way to remove unrecognised file in the cover art uploader
- [MBS-6615] – Cover art uploader allows selecting more images after starting upload
- [MBS-6616] – Comment field is not hidden while/after uploading an image
- [MBS-6618] – Cover art uploader ignores auto-edit checkbox
- [MBS-6619] – Cover art uploader doesn’t seem to handle SlowDown errors
- [MBS-6620] – Don’t accept unsupported images or files which aren’t images
- [MBS-6623] – No way to resubmit form when cover art fails to upload
- [MBS-6627] – Cover art uploader doesn’t correctly upload GIFs/PNGs
- [MBS-3618] – Force a check when adding a huge number of tracks
- [MBS-3823] – Track Parser’s “Done” Button should not take any action other than hiding the track parser window
- [MBS-4375] – Cover art archive: Upload multiple files at a time
- [MBS-4376] – Image upload should use AJAX instead of an iframe.
- [MBS-4442] – Be able to adjust position of new image without constantly having to move the mouse
- [MBS-4645] – Improve error handling when uploads to the IA fail
- [MBS-5587] – Release-group front cover art support : URL of image source is caa.org/release not caa.org/release-group/
- [MBS-6256] – “Example relationships” for relationship documentation should use entity autocompletion
- [MBS-6408] – Add a view for release events
- [MBS-6612] – Show previews in the cover art uploader
- [MBS-6613] – Improve display of “cancel” button in the cover art uploader
- [MBS-4849] – Drag & drop based file uploader for album artwork
- [MBS-6584] – Remove cruft from Controller::$Entity
The Git tag for this release is
This is a bugfix release of libdiscid.
There are already lots of changes (features) ready for 0.6.0, but I did want to release these fixes separately, since they have a high impact on the platforms involved.
0.6.0 is probably ready in a couple of weeks.
- [LIB-50] – Solaris: segfault in mb_disc_load_toc
- [LIB-51] – Mac: Unable to read ISRC for track
- [LIB-26] – disc access test suite
- print time information in the discid example (zas)
Information, documentation and other links are at:
That includes builds for Windows and Mac OS X.
We have finally created a new version of our Virtual Machine and we’re currently seeding it via BitTorrent. If you have some spare bandwidth and would like to help seed this torrent, please join it and leave your client running.
You can find the torrent file here. (edit: for the curious/disk-limited, the downloaded .ova is 10.13GB). Please read the instructions for how to use this VM.
You should consider this VM as beta quality as it not been tested at all. Let’s hope for the best!
UPDATE: We’ve got a workaround for getting this VM to work in VirtualBox. It works just fine under VMWare Fusion and Player.
UPDATE 2: We’ve added a second tracker to the BitTorrent.