Once more now before our upcoming schema change, we’re here with our fortnightly musicbrainz-server release! Some notable changes aside from bug fixes include a few additions to whitelists newly-approved, and enabling thumbnail display for PDF cover art. Thanks to the Internet Archive for making PDF thumbnails work, and thanks to chirlu, nikki, reosarevok, and bitmap for their work this release.
The git tag for this release is
Full list of tickets:
- [MBS-4151] – Publisher ARs for different entity types create quite confusing label AR pages
- [MBS-6166] – Deleted accounts can still have details edited
- [MBS-6508] – Artist/label create/edit edits fail to display removed or merged areas
- [MBS-7037] – Chrome displays broken image instead of error message
- [MBS-7352] – Release editor prints an untrue error “not logged in” after clicking “Enter Edits”
- [MBS-7376] – Selecting value from a drop-down list by pressing Enter prompts inexplicable behaviour
- [MBS-7400] – “merge artist” edit with “rename artist credit” option is a tracklist changing edit but is missing in release, release-group and recording edit histories
- [MBS-7412] – Reorder medium edits are generated for new releases
- [MBS-7437] – Area can’t be removed from a place
- [MBS-7438] – Empty edits are created for places due to coordinate padding
- [MBS-7439] – Internal server error when seeding badly formatted dates to the release editor
- [MBS-7444] – Release editor seeding should ignore medium position field
- [MBS-7445] – Not all mediums gets reordered when you delete one
- [MBS-7447] – Internal server error when seeding invalid track lengths to the release editor
- [MBS-7450] – Places on the equator don’t have their coordinates displayed
- [MBS-7451] – Possibility to remove track durations from releases with discID
- [MBS-7453] – Internal server error in the release editor (new row for relation “release_group” violates check constraint “control_for_whitespace”)
- [MBS-7455] – ISE for /ws/js/edit/preview: Error: Could not create MusicBrainz::Server::Edit::Release::DeleteReleaseLabel edit
- [MBS-7456] – Error when using the track parser to parse artists and it can’t find any
- [MBS-7458] – Internal server error when trying to delete a non-existent user
- [MBS-7459] – Internal server error displaying add disc ID edit (Can’t call method “release” on an undefined value)
- [MBS-7464] – Release editor does not use canonical URLs
- [MBS-4758] – Show list of recordings after work rels on work pages
- [MBS-5552] – Mark edit URL merge-edits properly
- [MBS-5640] – Don’t embed full size images in the page when no thumbnails are present
- [MBS-7345] – Sidebar external links: show span.mp pending edit status
- [MBS-7361] – Provide an HTML markup hook for finding/matching dynamic work attributes
- [MBS-7460] – Enable thumbnails for PDFs
- [MBS-7440] – Add Resident Advisor and IMVDb to the otherdbs whitelist
- [MBS-7454] – Add Rap Genius / Rock Genius and Project Gutenberg to lyrics whitelist
- [MBS-7448] – Add URL lookup to the website
I’m pleased to announce the following 5 projects were accepted for this round of Summer of Code:
- A new website for Picard and its plugins by Shadab Zafar: Give Picard a new website that will be used to host everything Picard related especially its plugins. Also add an interface which can be used to download those plugins right from picard.
- MBS-6201: Add an “event” entity by reosarevok: Finalising the basic implementation of MBS-799 by adding an event entity to MusicBrainz.
- Finishing and deploying CritiqueBrainz by Roman Tsukanov: Last year Maciej Czerwiński started work on repository for Creative Commons-licensed reviews – CritiqueBrainz project. He implemented core functionality: storage, API, and web interface. During Google Summer of Code 2014 I’d like to continue his work, finish and deploy the project.
- MB UI TLC by navap: Spend some major TLC on all the templates and UI of MB.
- Move MusicBrainz Search to SOLR by Wieland Hoffmann: The goal of this project is to move the MusicBrainz Search server to use SOLR for faster and in-place index updates.
The whole MusicBrainz dev team is very excited to have students take on these projects. We’ve been waiting for events for an eternity and after 9 months of no progress, I’m stoked that soon we will release CritiqueBrainz.
Congratulations to mineo, navap, duffer, gentlecat and reosarevok. And big thanks to Google for having us in Summer of Code again.
A bit later in the day than I’d like, but we’re back with another release! Primarily bug fixes, but this release also includes the long-in-progress work to derive recording durations from track durations; thanks to ocharles and bitmap for dragging that through the various parts of the process! Thanks also to d4rkie, reosarevok, mavit, and chirlu for providing patches on top of the work of the MetaBrainz team.
The git tag for this release is
- [MBS-4021] – /ws/2/release doesn’t include artist aliases for recordings on Various Artists releases
- [MBS-7064] – Internal server error displaying relationship type edit
- [MBS-7068] – Need Email::Sender 0.120002 or newer
- [MBS-7297] – Internal server error when searching for edits by ID with large numbers
- [MBS-7315] – Removing URL entity via Edit Release page results in SQL error
- [MBS-7386] – Regression: Attach TOC to new release – TOC/DiscId is lost when based on existing release/tracklist
- [MBS-7390] – ArtistsThatMayBeGroups report needs to ignore orchestras and choirs
- [MBS-7392] – Place duplicate checks don’t work
- [MBS-7393] – mora.jp parser makes wrong links
- [MBS-7395] – Works that still have work attributes can’t be deleted
- [MBS-7410] – Merge queue with more than one entry shows the wrong help text
- [MBS-7416] – Edit-medium diff shows recording changes that aren’t actually changes
- [MBS-7420] – Can’t submit artist edit form after adding and removing a URL
- [MBS-7426] – Tiny distracting flaw in Edit Recording page ISRC help text
- [MBS-7429] – Ambiguous field ‘id’ in search query involving edit ID BETWEEN and “Artist in subscribed editors”
- [MBS-7431] – URL encoding problem with inline URL editing
- [MBS-2021] – Set recording times automatically
- [MBS-2302] – Set recording length when adding a Disc ID
- [MBS-7150] – Indicate artists on the release group and recording parts of the ratings page
- [MBS-7153] – Indicate artists on the release group and recording parts of the tags page
- [MBS-7291] – Detect and mark big duration differences on recording merge edits
- [MBS-7391] – Remove verbiage from /entity/create
- [MBS-7417] – Add a visual indicator when times are very different in release merge edits
- [MBS-3987] – Disable recording duration editing
- [MBS-7425] – Add maniadb.com to the other dbs whitelist
As you’ve probably heard all over the net, a vulnerability was found in a very popular and critical piece of software that a lot of sites on the net use. While we also use said piece of software, our version is a bit older and therefore we’re not affected by this bug. There is no need to change your password, unless you use a common password on any of these affected sites listed in the link above.
To get an idea of how serious this issue is, take a look at this stunning list of affected sites!
But, don’t take our word for it. Use this link to check to see if musicbrainz.org is affected.
Now go and change your passwords. NOW!
Due to a travel schedule snafu, we need to pull our schema change release day in by one day. The new release date for our schema change release is 14 May, 2014.
Sorry for having to make this change!